Tuesday, June 19, 2012

First lathe casting pattern - the carriage

So today I started making the first casting pattern for my lathe. I'm starting with carriage, because it makes up the base of the tool-holding system, which I will need to use when I get to the headstock.

There are two ways to go about this (assuming you want to make the pattern from wood): cut it out of a single block, or glue it up from separate parts. I chose the former, because it seemed easier to me after taking stock of my selection of stock. You can do it the other way, it would be the easier of the two options, providing you had stock of the right dimensions handy.

Anyway, here are some photos of it, and here is a link to a pdf with the cutting sequence I used. I hope it makes sense, if not, let me know.

The top of the carriage

And the bottom

Obviously the pattern isn't completely done, I need to finish plugging little holes in the surface, give it a good sand, and paint it with something glossy. But it has all its tapers and rounded edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment