Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Aims and materials.

When I'm done with this particular set of experiments, I want to be able to get good quality etches, with nice straight lines, I want to be able to 'etch machine' as well, which is where you etch right through the plate, causing a bit to come off. I want to minimise surface pitting, and master toner transfer, which I'll explain at some point.



The project I'm going to be making for this is a badge, the image I'm using for the badge comes from a web comic called Girl Genius that is quite amusing, and it's an airship pilot's badge. I think it's quite a striking image.




The materials I'll use are:

Large Tupperware container

Copper Sulphate

Plates of brass and copper (Obtained from A&E Metal suppliers )
Variable power supply
Laser printer New Scientist magazine
An iron and ironing board

A Roller

Isopropyl alcohol

Black paint

Steel wool

Scotchbrite

Brass brooch findings, also from A&E



You might also find one of these useful at a later date.














The first couple of steps I have had completed for a while now. They're as follows: Make an etching tank. I had some old float valves, enormous ones, and the float on one of them was bashed in and useless. Or so I thought when I got it. It was made of copper, so I cut a bit out of it for my cathode. I drilled a couple of holes in the side of the Tupperware container and in the copper scrap, then bolted the copper to the inside of the tank. That's the cathode done.
The next step is the electrolyte (the salt solution). I went to the hardware store and got some copper sulphate, a blue crystal used for killing plants, or you could 'acquire' some from the school's chemistry dept. Dissolve some of the copper sulphate in water in the tank. Obviously, you want to keep the water level below the holes in the sides of the tank. If you're not going to use it straight away, put the lid back on and put it out of the reach of lurkers (A.K.A fiendish sisters)

Lurker #1

No comments:

Post a Comment